ENTREPRENEURIAL FIRE – DO YOU HAVE IT?

It takes an entrepreneurial fire in your belly to start a business — and make it succeed — and not everyone has it.

How do you know if you have what it takes to start a business? According to the  Entrepreneur website, there are “12 Surprising Signs You Could Be an Entrepreneur”.

Based on Grant Cordone’s, here are my thoughts and how it relates to myself:

1. Hate the Status Quo – Oy! So true. I heard this quote at a workshop: “You will fail to grow if you are status quo”. Since then, I have used the very same quote for workshops that I have presented at. It’s only a few words, but it tells you exactly that if you want to grow, you need to make changes in your life. This can pertain to either your personal or business life.

2. Easily Bored – I love challenges. It’s what I loved about the jobs I’ve had recently. I knew nothing about wind energy or the tourism industry and yet after research and development and asking numerous questions, I was able to talk with industry leaders on this topic. Present a problem to me and I will find a solution.

3. Fired from Jobs – I’ve never been fired but the Board of Directors of a nonprofit accepted my resignation. I was working as an Executive Director for a nonprofit organization. Within a year, I had taken the organization from short-term Provincial funding to multi-year Federal funding. I think I had moved the organization much quicker than they anticipated, and it caused a rifle among staff and the board.

4. Labeled a Rebel – I don’t consider myself a rebel but I’d say that I might push boundary lines a little. I’m bit of a “why” person. Tell me the “why” it has to be this way and I am happy to go along with it. If you can’t, then I’ll push the boundaries.

5. Resist Authority – Goodness, see the above comment.

6. Ready to Improve Everything – I have to say that I am guilty of this many times. I don’t go out to seek opportunities but if there is a problem I will try and see if it can be improved. Is this process working for me? Is it user-friendly? No? Let’s find a solution that will make it easier.

7. Bad at Making Small Talk – I blame this on being introverted. I have troubles at networking events because of this. Give me something that I can talk, discuss and engage in and I am golden!

8. Bullied in Your Youth – I wasn’t picked on by peers but I always felt that I what I did was never ever good enough for my parents. Because of this, I’ve always tried to excel in everything that I do. Since then. It’s more my own personal drive to keep pushing forward and being the best.

9. Obsessive – Interesting trait. I’ve always said that at times I can have obsessive-compulsive disorder traits. I think, we all do at times.  For some reason, I can’t give part of myself to a new projects or ideas, it’s either all or nothing at all.

10. Scared to Go Solo – I think many of us face this fear – the fear of the unknown. One of the reasons why it took me so long to start my own consulting business. But again, it goes back to point number one above. If you remain status quo, you’re not going to grow.

11. Unable to Unwind – I’m guilty of this one too. My mind races all the time. It’s worse at bedtime, you’re lying there half asleep and you start thinking about work and other topics. One thing leads to another. There have been many times when a solution came in a dream. I used to wake up and write it down right away so I wouldn’t forget it.

12. Don’t Fit the Norm – I’ve felt I’ve never really fit into a “clique”. Great thing is that I am okay that I don’t fit into a mould of who I should be or shouldn’t be.

Do you fit all or a few of  these traits? Are you an entrepreneur already? Or are you trying to see if entrepreneurship is the right path for you? Nevertheless, these may be a few signs you’re an entrepreneur.

Article written by: Rosie Digout 

No comments: