Don’t Go to School?

I have one useless undergraduate degree. Useless but it was very expensive. When I finished school I realized I couldn’t afford to do my master’s and without it, my degree was worth little more than the paper (diploma) that announced it. Scholarships were not an option (long story) and another loan would probably have rendered me homeless. In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t try to pursue that master’s degree — I know people who have done exactly that and never worked a day in their field because: no jobs.
As for me and my undergrad, I finished school and embarked on a desperate search for work that would demand a degree in psychology. The only thing I was able to find was a volunteer position at a distress centre — very rewarding, but it didn’t pay the bills. After a few months of struggling with awful part-time gigs, the bills for my student loans started showing up and it became apparent that going to school was the worst mistake I’d ever made. I know this is a strong statement, but 15 years later I still stand by it. I couldn’t pay my bills, I had creditors after me and I was unemployed — it was probably the worst time in my life. Eventually, I found something at a bank that, let me tell you, did not require a psychology degree (although I’m sure it helped a little when dealing with upset customers).
Are the graduates who are debt-free in a better position? I’m not sure. A close friend graduated with a fine arts master’s degree two years ago with zero debt thanks to scholarships and an RESP, and today, he’s still working retail, making just enough to pay his rent and groceries. He’s applied everywhere but the jobs in his field tend to have a slow turnaround and he’ll most likely have to move in order to find something that’s remotely related to what he’s been educated to do. Another friend, who graduated from teacher’s college last year, has been struggling to make ends meet, taking on tutoring gigs, and supplying her income by working in restaurants. In the yahoo article Universities to blame for glut of unemployed teachers, lawyers?, Andrew Langille, a labour lawyer and founder of Youthandwork.ca, says, “the current need [for teachers] is for no more than 5,000 new teachers a year, a number that isn’t anticipated to change for the next decade at least.” This is significant because “there are now 9,000 new teachers graduating each year in Ontario alone and another 3,000 arriving from the U.S. and abroad hoping to find work in the province.” Langille says: “There are enough unemployed teachers in Ontario that the province could not graduate another teacher in the next 10 years and still have enough.”
Furthermore, the University Degrees' Value Declining As Costs Remain High: CIBC Report article says, “Canada has the highest proportion of adults with post-secondary degrees among member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). But Canada's share of graduates who earn less than the national median income is the highest in the OECD, and the cost of a post-secondary education in Canada is almost double the OECD average.”
And, if you factor into this that nearly two million Canadians had student loans totalling $20-billion (2012), getting a post-secondary education is a really risky endeavour.
So what to do about this problem? The yahoo article says that “the solution to the skills gap is for students, the government and schools to all pay more attention to the realities of the labour market.”
I don’t know what that would look like in practice — would there be no more degrees offered for jobs that are impossible to find? Probably not. But maybe there is a way to educate students about such realities before we actually educate them. I don’t remember anyone (like the bank lending me money to pay tuition, hello!) letting me know that my degree was probably not going to lead to a job. I know, I know — I was a big enough girl to go to school but I was still very much a kid — idealistic and with zero foresight. 
As Mike Rowe once said, “We are lending money we don’t have to kids who can’t pay it back to train them for jobs that no longer exist.”

Article Written By: Jowita Bydlowska is a writer-editor for poss.ca. She has written for a number of national and international publications such as The Globe and Mail, Oxygen magazine, enRoute, Warsaw Insider and others. She volunteered as a counsellor at a distress centre for two years. Jowita writes for a living and for fun. Originally published on www.poss.ca 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy. Many years ago I graduated with an Hon. B.A. in one of the Social Sciences. I know of some graduates that have gone on to much bigger and better things. What did I achieve? Summer employment, short term related work involving completing a specific project. In the end nothing related to my chosen field. I work in an administrative position. Currently, only part time and making not much more than enough to pay the bills. Lady luck did not shine on me.

Anonymous said...

There are lots of jobs out there except universities today do not do enough to prepare students for the real world. I am privileged to have had had great mentors from grad school, my retail job and my first analyst job. I can’t possibly fill their shoes but I will attempt to pass on what I know.

Companies today are looking to increase efficiencies and get better ROI, triggering a growth in analytics and engineering. There are many jobs in analytics that many students do not know exist. Competences in business, math, engineering or applied sciences are what many companies are looking for. No, you do not necessarily need a degree. Many colleges offer applied work programs and apprentice training. Competition for jobs today calls for students to be more strategic in their choice of post-secondary training.

My advice is to not bother asking for help from your high school career counselor. I have never met one that gave good advice. Instead, students should to talk to as many people as possible from different industries, especially industries you want to work in. Ask them what their jobs are like, what they do and what type of training they need to get that job. There are many more jobs out there that a kid straight out of high school or university would not be aware of.

You also have to know that getting a degree/diploma is not enough. Skills today need constant upgrading. Many find it useful to get certifications to supplement their professional experience. There are lots of niches to be filled and no one to fill them. You never know until you dig a little deeper. I know it is tough to get a "real job". Retail or hospitality jobs are not necessarily “dead end” jobs. You get skills in management, budgeting, procurement, customer service, etc….all vital skills to have when you “move up”.

If you haven’t, start a LinkedIn profile. Do not mix your social contacts with your professional contact list. Do not friend your boss on Facebook. Know your professional/private line and do not cross it. And please use a professional picture, not a duck-face picture taken from your bathroom mirror.

I wish all of you good luck. Know this, it is not as bleak as you think and it is never too late to change direction in your career.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but you don't have my sympathy at all. You went to University, received a degree and then found you couldn't get a job. You don't go to University to automatically get a job. You go to get a qualification which hopefully will lead to a job, but hey, nothing's for sure. It seems you could only find one job requiring a psychology degree and then gave up and fifteen years after qualification, you're working in a bank. So, how much upgrading/additional related courses did you take? Did you consider volunteering overseas for a year? Did you consider moving across Canada looking for work? going up north? Did you network 8 hours a day, seven days a week? My guess is you did few, if any of those things. Avenues will continue to open to you, you just have to be aware and notice when they come in your field of vision; then you have to take them. Jobs don't jump into your hands, you have to work to get them and you have to work to keep them. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

To the Anonymous who wrote on September 18: Oh WOW! You, yourself must have done all of the above and I trust you are prospering?! Sincerely, I hope you are bathing in success; no irony meant at all! Nonetheless, your preaching is rather preposterous. The reality in Canada is rather gloomy and shocking. I for one, I am shocked and appalled by the labour market here and the standards of the hiring process. I and my husband moved to Canada in 2006, while my husband got a job thanks to knowing someone, (as his dual Master's Degree from the Boston University was not very impressive at all),I for one, to this date I have not been able to work a single day in Canada. I hold a master's degree from Brandeis University, from its well-known school of Heller Social Policy and Management, from its prestigious program on International Development, and graduated cum laude, besides my native language and English, I have native fluency in Italian and working knowledge in French, I have worked for 20 years in the context of the international development and in over 26 countries for organizations such as OXFAM, Catholic Relief Services, International Red Cross, and as a staff and consultant for the UN and EU, and various country governments. Regardless, of how hard I apply here in Canada, I have managed so far only once to get short-listed and interviewed by a large humanitarian organization, to whom by the way I contribute every month 50 dollars, since 2010! After 3 interviews with 3 different panels,I was told not directly of course, but I found out later by someone,(not directly as they never bother to come back to me to officially inform me on the process until I contacted them directly), that I was overqualified!!! Certainly, I was not overqualified, I was just well-qualified for a complex and sophisticated project! I wish I had heard smth else such incompetence, or that I failed during the interview or else. Sorry to say this, but people here get easily threatened by qualified people and I have no trust in the system; I do not want to know anyone, I do not want to network and beg for a job, I just want to get a job through the fair process where everyone has a fair shot! And please: enough with the non-sense of the lack of Canadian experience, which frankly it makes everyone who says it ridiculous, if not idiotic. I have been able to work for British, American, French, Dutch and multi-national employers, how different are they from Canadians or are their standards lower than those of Canadians, (unless, Canadian employers belong to a different galaxy)? After another jobless year, I have decided to quit Canada. Staying here is useless and a waste not time, but life!Good bye polar bears, you may be out of job, too! Stephen Harper is determined to pay for Pandas but cares less for you.